Arignar Anna college, Aralvaymoli is primarily meant to cater to the educational needs of the youth of the Thovalai & Agasteeswaram Taluks of the Kanyakumari District and the Nanguneri Taluk of the Tirunelveli District. In fact the idea to organise a model college in which the teachers, the taught and the management associate as partners and that too at the gateway of the Kanyakumari Dist, has been in the minds of Prof. M. Sankaralingam who has been ML. C. representing teachers' constituency since 1964 and for whom service to the teaching fraternity has almost become a second nature and Professors L.C. Thanu and V. Paravaikkarasu Pillai who have dedicated their service to the cause of education and the betterment of teachers.
The idea crystallised into shape at the first meeting of the promoters held at the residence of Prof. M. Sankaralingam, M.A., Ex. M.L.C. Ex. M.P. at Therakalputhur on 02-09-1969 when it was unanimously decided to start a college under 'own your college scheme' as a co-operative venture. The application for the registration of "Kumari Educational Co-Operative Society Ltd" was filed with the Deputy Registrar of Co-operative Societies, Kanyakumari Dist., Nagercoil, on 10-09-1969.
Being a novel scheme, unheard of in the South the inevitable delay was there.
In the mean time the authorities of the Madurai University were insisting on the constitution of a registered body as a pre-condition for granting affiliation to colleges and therefore, the Kanyakumari Educational Society was registered under the Travancore Cochin Literary, Scientific and Charitable Societies Registration Act, 1955 (Act XII of 1955) on 10th march 1970. The society is a service organisation and not a profit seeking one. It has on its rolls 200 members, who have subscribed for shares varying between I and 10, the value of a share being Rs.1000/-
The ready response of the Philanthropic public of the district, the generous gifts of lands to create endowment offered by the two trusts of Aramboly, Sree Nainar Kulasekara Vinayagar Kovil Vellala samudaya Trust and Sree Poikaivinayagar Temple Trust - and by Thiru. L. Chonochalam Pillai of Thazhakudy, The Sympathetic gesture of the government of Tamilnadu in placing at disposal of the Society its own building to house the college, the genuine interest taken by Thiru. M.G. Balan,B.A., B.L. M.L.A. in facilitating the handing over of the above building to the authorities of the college, the magnanimity of the Aralvaymoli Panchayat in donating the former market site adjacent to the College to the society and to cap it all, the untiring industry and unabated zeal of the promoters, particularly Prof. M. Sankaralingam, M.A., Ex. M.L.C. Ex.M.P. of Therakalputhoor, Thiru. L. Chithambarathanu Pillai, M.A., H.D.C. of Thazhakudy and Thiru. V. Paravaikkarasu Pillai, M.A., M.Phil. of Nagercoil did the magic and the Arignar Anna College, Aralvaymoli sprang into being, from its very inception as a First Grade one.
The orders granting affiliation to the Pre-University Course and the B.A. degree courses were issued by the authorities of the Madurai Kamaraj University on 25th June, 1970 and 11th July, 1970 respectively indeed the fruition of a long cherished dream.
The College, aptly named after the great Savant administration, Arignar Annadurai aims at providing not only liberal education but also instilling in the minds of students the triple virtues - Duty, Dignity and Discipline, for which he stood.
Functioning from 10-07-1970, the college is open to all classes and creeds and is managed by the Kanyakumari Educational Society.